Ecole Polytechnique, Paris, France BS 6/1985 Mathematics & Physics
Sup’Aero, Paris, France MS 6/1986 Optimization & Control
Stanford University, California, U.S.A. PhD 3/1990 Aeronautics & Astronautic
1990 - 1992 Researcher, Laboratoire Systèmes et Perception, Arceuil, France.
1992 - 1999 Professor, Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Techniques Avancées, Paris, France. Also, I taught at Paris University La Sorbonne, Economics Program, and in the Applied Mathematics Department, Ecole Polytechnique.
1999 - 2001 Acting Associate Professor, Dept. of EECS, U.C. Berkeley.
2001 - 2003 Associate Professor, Dept. of EECS, U.C. Berkeley.
2003 - 2006 On industrial leave with SAC Capital, New York.
2006 - 2009 Associate Professor, Dept. of EECS, U.C. Berkeley.
2009 – present Professor, Dept. of EECS and IEOR, U.C. Berkeley. Member of Berkeley AI Lab (BAIR).
Plenary talk at INFORMS 2015 (INFORMS is the leading conference in Optimization).
Career Award, National Science Foundation (2000).
Bronze Medal for Engineering Sciences from the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, France (1998).
Okawa Foundation Research grant (2001).
SIAG Optimization Prize awarded for the best paper in Optimization in a four-year period (2004).
1. Calafiore, G.C., El Ghaoui, L., Preziosi, A. and Russo, L., 2017. Topic analysis in news via sparse learning: a case study on the 2016 US Presidential Elections. IFAC-PapersOnLine, 50(1), pp.13593-13598.
2. Vu Pham and Laurent El Ghaoui. Robust sketching for multiple square-root LASSO problems. Proc. International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS), May 2015.
3. Youwei Zhang and Laurent El Ghaoui. Large-Scale Sparse Principal Component Analysis with Application to Text Data. In Proc. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), December 2011.
4. S. Yadlowsky, P. Nakkarin, J. Wang, R. Sharma, L. El Ghaoui. Iterative Hard Thresholding for Keyword Extraction from Large Text Corpora. In Proc. ICMLA, 2014.
5. A. d'Aspremont, F. Bach, L. El Ghaoui, Approximation Bounds for Sparse Principal Component Analysis. Mathematical Programming Series B, 148 (1–2), pp. 89-110, December 2014.
6. Laurent El Ghaoui, Vu Pham, Guan-Cheng Li, Viet-An Duong, Ashok Srivastava, and Kanishka Youwei Zhang and Laurent El Ghaoui. Large-Scale Sparse Principal Component Analysis with Application to Text Data. In Proc. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS), December 2011.
7. Xinyu Dai, Jinzhu Jia, Laurent El Ghaoui and Bin Yu. SBA-term: Sparse Bilingual Association for Terms. In Proc. Fifth IEEE International Conference on Semantic Computing, September 2011.