Professional Experience & Education
2008-present, Professor, Life Science Division, Graduate School at Shenzhen, Tsinghua University, China
2005-2008, Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery; Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry, University of Alberta, Canada
2003-2005, Research Associate, Department of Medicine, Brigham & Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston; and Duke University Medical Center, Durham (Lab relocation), USA.
1998-1999, Postdoctoral Fellow, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
1994-1997, Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
1986-1997, Physician, Cardiologist, Department of Medicine, Xuanwu Hospital, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China
2000-2003, Ph.D., University of Toronto
1983-1986, M.S., Lanzhou University
1978-1983, M.D., Qingdao Medical College
Instruction & Advising
Stem cells and regenerative medicine; Cell and molecular biology
Master's & Ph.D. Advising:
Stem cells and regenerative medicine
Niches for stem cell self-renewal, regeneration and organogenesis;
Epigenetic regulations of stem cell self-renewal;
Mechanisms of mesenchymal stem cell trafficking, homing and tissue repair/regeneration;
Bioengineering of the skin and hair follicle neogenesis
1. Mo M, Zhou Y, Li S, Wu Y*. (2018) 3D culture reduces cell size by increasing vesicle excretion. Stem Cells 36(2):286-292.
2. Wang S#, Mo M#, Wang J, Sadia S, Shi B, Fu X, Yu L, Tredget EE, Wu Y*. (2018) Platelet-derived growth factor receptor beta identifies mesenchymal stem cells with enhanced engraftment to tissue injury and pro-angiogenic property. Cell Mol Life Sci. 75(3):547-561 #equal contribution.
3. Wu Y and Tredget EE. (2017) Mesenchymal stem cells in wound healing: Challenges in translation. Stem Cells, 35 years anniversary collection.
4. Wang X#, Chen H#, Tian R#, Zhang Y, Drutskaya MS, Wang C, Ge J, Fan Z, Kong D, Wang X, Cai T, Zhou Y, Wang J, Wang J, Wang S, Qin Z, Jia H, Wu Y, Liu J, Nedospasov SA, Tredget EE, Lin M, Liu J, Jiang Y*, Wu Y*. (2017) Macrophages induce AKT/β-catenin-dependent Lgr5+ stem cell activation and hair follicle regeneration through TNF. Nature Communications 27;8:14091
5. Zhou Y, Chen H, Li H and Wu Y*. (2017) 3D culture increases pluripotent gene expression in mesenchymal stem cells through relaxation of cytoskeleton tension. J Cell Mol Med. 21(6):1073-1084
6. Wang X, Wang X, Cai T, Guo L, Wang S, Jiang Y, Zhao RC, Liu J, Tredget EE and Wu Y*. (2016) De novo hair follicle and sebaceous gland regeneration with cultured stem cells. Stem Cells Translational Medicine 5(12):1695-1706.
7. Wang X, Wang J, Guo L, Wang XS, Chen H, Wang XM, Liu J, Tredget EE and Wu Y*.（2016） Self-assembling peptide hydrogel scaffolds support stem cell-based hair follicle regeneration. Nanomedicine 12(7):2115-2125
8. Mo M, Wang S, Zhou Y, Li H and Wu Y*. (2016) Mesenchymal stem cell subpopulations: phenotype, property and therapeutic potential. Cell Mol Life Sci. Sep;73(17):3311-21
9. Wang S, Guo L, Ge J, Yu L, Cai T, Tian R, Jiang Y, Zhao RC, Wu Y*. (2015) Excess integrins cause lung entrapment of mesenchymal stem cells. Stem Cells 33(11):3315-26.
10. Guo L, Zhou Y, Wang S and Wu Y*. (2014) Epigenetic changes of mesenchymal stem cells in 3D spheroids. J Cell Mol Med 18(10):2009-19
11. Guo L, Ge JF, Zhou Y, Wang S and Wu Y*. (2014) 3D spheroid cultured mesenchymal stem cells devoid of embolism attenuate brain injury after stroke. Stem Cells Dev. 23(9):978-89.
12. Ge JF, Guo L, Wang S, Zhao R CH and Wu Y*. (2014) Enlargement of mesenchymal stem cells is a significant cause of vascular obstruction. Stem Cell Rev. 10: 295-303.
13. Wang XS, Ge JF, Tredget EE and Wu Y*. (2013) The mouse excisional wound splinting model, including applications for stem cell transplantation. Nature Protocols 8, 302–309.
14. Wu Y* and Zhao RC. (2012) The Role of Chemokines in Mesenchymal Stem Cell Homing to Myocardium. Stem Cell Reviews and Reports 8:243-50.
15. Li Z, Liu C, Xie Z, Song P, Zhao RC, Guo L, Liu Z, and Wu Y*. (2011) Epigenetic dysregulation in mesenchymal stem cell aging and spontaneous differentiation. PLoS ONE 2011;6:e20526.
16. Wu Y, Zhao RC, and Tredget EE. (2010) Bone marrow derived stem/progenitor cells in cutaneous repair and regeneration. Stem Cells 28:905-15.
17. Chen L, Tredget E, Liu CX, and Wu Y*. (2009) Analysis of allogenicity of mesenchymal stem cells in engraftment and wound healing. PLoS ONE 22;4:e7119.
18. Chen L, Tredget E, Wu P, and Wu Y*. (2008) Paracrine factors of mesenchymal stem cells recruit macrophages and endothelial lineage cells and enhance wound healing. PLoS ONE. 2;3:e1886.
19. Wu Y*, Chen LW, Scott P, and Tredget EE. (2007) Mesenchymal stem cells enhance wound healing through differentiation and angiogenesis. Stem Cells 25: 2648-2659.
20. Wu Y, Wang J and Tredget EE. (2007) Bone marrow derived stem cells in wound healing: A Review. Wound Repair Regen 15 (s1): S18–S26.
21. Ip JE#, Wu Y#, Huang J, Zhang LN, Pratt RE and Dzau VJ. (2007) Mesenchymal Stem Cells Use Integrin beta1 Not CXC Chemokine Receptor 4 for Myocardial Migration and Engraftment. Mol. Biol. Cell. 18:2873-82.
22. Wu Y, Ip JE, Huang J, Zhang LN, Matsushita K, Liew CC, Pratt RE, and Dzau VJ. (2006) Essential Role of ICAM-1/CD18 in Mediating EPC Recruitment, Angiogenesis and Repair to the Infarcted Myocardium. Circ Res. 99: 315-322.
23. Wu Y, Wu J, Cao L, Chen L, Zhang Y, Kiani C, and Yang BB. (2005) Versican protects cells from oxidative stress-induced apoptosis. Matrix Biol. 24:3-13.24. Wu Y, La Pierre DP, Wu J, Yee AJ, and Yang BB. (2005) The interaction of versican with its binding partners. Cell Res. 15: 483-94.